Thursday, August 12, 2010

When did being positive become such a negative?

In the last 20 – 30 years, we’re aware of it, the danger, the media reminds us all the time, events, telethons, marathons, concerts, images of faraway countries full of carriers, kids and older people all the same.

The stories are there too, you hear some personal experiences, we all know famous people that have it, some that died with it, others that live for years (a famous basketball player, a singer)...

This thing only happens to other people, ones with horrible lifestyles and preferences, and they brought it on themselves, they deserve having it...

And it’s so easy to protect yourself from, but it’s also so easy to get it, especially with the way you get it, if it wasn’t such pleasure, probably one of life’s best...

You hear all these different opinions:

“It won’t happen to me.”

“Don’t know what the fuss is all about”

“It doesn’t actually kill you”

“It was developed by the American government, given to different communities in an attempt to depopulate and weaken powers...”

And then one day, you realize something’s wrong with your body, nothing too serious it seems at start. But over a period, more symptoms, and little pains and aches. Maybe it’s just paranoia, fed to us by the media, last thing you want is to be one of “THEM”, your life will be practically over if you have “IT”...

And the test, medical tests are always scary, sitting there with a doctor, trying to work up the courage to tell him what is it you think you have, and they always look like they’re criticizing you for being sick, you’re a doctor for fuck sake? What did you think I came here for, Pizza?!? And they could of course tell you “fuck off, silly little man, you’re perfectly healthy”, but of course, doctors don’t make money from healthy people, so they’ll say “let’s run some tests...”, and that’s exactly what you’re most afraid of, I was never one of those people that dread getting a negative result on some school paper, who cares... but getting a Positive on a medical test, no that’s never good...

This is why I couldn’t go the Dr. Especially since I live in such a small town, everybody know everything (Gabriel Garcia Marquez coined the phrase “Pueblo pequeño, Infierno grande”, small town, big hell), and the last thing you need is people pointing and whispering everywhere you go, or making tactless remarks…

And what if you have it, do you just tell the world or try and hide it?

Do I really have to call ex-girlfriends? One-nighters? Friends and family?

Would life be the same with it? Will friends still hang out with you? Will women still go to bed with you?

Should I just put it on my Facebook Status?


Or maybe i should just start a blog and put it on there for the whole wrold to see, so here goes,

I, Gili Agmon, not even 28 years old yet, and I have it,



I have a beer-belly.

2 comments:

  1. Hey man,

    Very cool. I like the style. Very "Gili" to me only in English. I got to say that you actually got me freaking worried during reading this. I thought you were about to say something about AIDS or Cancer....SHIT MAN! U SCARED ME TO DEATH! That means that I like it...

    Good luck me amigo and stay in touch...
    Yonatan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mi joven sobrino,

    You start to be a big filósofo with a little belly...

    Hope that you don't take example from your brothers and uncles...
    Love,
    Dod Ilan

    ReplyDelete